AQA Unit 8 (Islam) & Unit 9 (Islam: Ethics)
Allah bears witness that there is no God but Him, and so do the Angels and those who posses knowledge; (He is) the maintainer of justice, so there no god but Him, the Almighty, the All-Wise (Holy Quran, 3:18).
Over the last ten years, the Islamic Education Department of The World Federation has actively supported the introduction of a GCSE level qualification in Islamic Studies into community Madaris and Schools. Our aim behind this initiative has always been:
1. To develop spiritual and vibrant youths, well grounded in their faith and who serve humanity.
2. To transform the community Madaris and Schools into a hub where students learn from the knowledge and the wisdom of the Ahlulbayt (AS) and achieve the pleasure of Allah (SWT) through applying this wisdom in relevant and real-life contexts.
3. To open up an avenue to discuss topical issues affecting our young people in a safe and controlled environment, so that they can be confident in responding to such issues from the Shia Ithna Asheri viewpoint.
4. To reaffirm a much needed focus on the important subject of Aqaid (Islamic ideology) that was seen as lacking in our curricula.
5. To use a key stage of youth development, and a GCSE qualification that is recognised throughout the world, to capitalise on this opportunity.
The GCSE qualification, besides Aqaid subjects, covers contemporary subject areas such as the Environment, Conflict and Suffering, and Crime and Punishment.
The textbook covers all of these areas from the Shia Ithna Asheri viewpoint without apology. This has made it possible for other Muslims to also study Islamic teachings in the light of the rich traditions of the Ahlulbayt (AS).
The textbooks are based upon the GCSE qualification as presented by the AQA examination board Religious Studies A Unit 8 and Unit 9. The textbook was drafted and redrafted by a number of people. It was, once completed, quality assured by a group of scholars and community preachers. In the summer of 2010, it was sent to over 70 Madrasah teachers, principals and educationalists throughout the Shia community; their comments were further collated and included within this version. the second edition of these textbooks was reviewed and revised by the GCSE team of Islamic Education in the summer of 2013. The updated Manual is now issued to Madaris and Community schools worldwide. I take this opportunity of thanking all those who have contributed to this noble effort.
We are now issuing it to the Madaris and the Community School as a student friendly textbook.
Please do send us any comments or suggestions on this textbook to firstname.lastname@example.org
Click on the images below to buy the GCSE Manuals or Mindmap: