<< Back to Madinah and Bab's main page
Madinah and Bab al-Ilm 2019: Mentor applications are now open!
Dates: 22nd July to 15th August
Deadline to Apply by is 25th May 2019
Be part of a once-in-a-lifetime experience by inspiring young people to better understand themselves and their religion. Build life-long friends by becoming a mentor for the Madinah and Bab short summer course. Engage in a unique personal development journey by setting the best example the participants will learn from. You will be able to participate in a wide range of course activities. Develop social bonds with a variety of age groups from different backgrounds. At the same time, you will be able to expand your Islamic knowledge and most importantly being a mentor for our youth course will look great on your CV.
By joining us as a mentor, you will help the course run smoothly making a positive difference to the participants lives. It is a great way to build up your leadership skills and stretch your abilities to the max. At times it may be physically and mentally demanding, but don’t worry – you will arrive in Iran early, and go through a three-day training course to prepare yourself thoroughly (dates are all listed below). With your dedication, effort, and the support of your peers and the organising team, the opportunity will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Read on for further info on the role.
Role and Responsibility Description
Purpose of the Role: To support the organisers in running the course and to assist the participants with their personal development.
Successful applicants must:
- Send in your online application by 25 May
- All mentor applicants must be in Iran no later than the 21 July- ready to start training for 22 July
- Participate in a full-time residential training course in Iran on Monday 22 July, Tuesday 23 July, and Wednesday 24 July 2019.
- Participate fully in the Madinah and Bab al-Ilm course from Thursday 25 July until Thursday 15 August.
- Submit a brief report of your experience by Saturday 31 August.
The mentor will:
- Support the organising team in running the course
- Assist with the personal development of a group of participants
- Support participants with their learning
- Act as a liaison between the participants and The World Federation Qum Office
- Provide regular updates and feedback to the organisers on current progress, and make recommendations for improvements
- Take good quality photos and videos and send them to the organisers in a timely manner
- Support the participants to follow the course schedule
- Submit a report on return to their home country and participate in debrief sessions
- Be a good role model
Please note: This list is not exhaustive; mentors will be expected to undertake work of similar nature to the above as and when required.
The mentor will not:
- Organise logistics of the course
- Be responsible for the participants’ primary religious learning or for answering Islamic questions
- Deal with any serious medical or disciplinary issues
The applicant should have:
- Experience of working with youths
- A practical understanding of Islamic laws and ethics
- Good organisation and planning skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- A good ability to deal with conflict
- An excellent ability to collaborate with others and contribute as part of a team
- Excellent communication and listening skills
- A Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate. If this is not in place, the successful applicant will cooperate with The World Federation and its regional partners so that a DBS check can be undertaken. For applicants from outside the UK, equivalent checks and documentation will be required, where relevant.
It is preferable, but not essential, that the applicant is:
- 21 years of age or older
- A graduate of the Madinah or Bab al-Ilm course
- Trained in First Aid
- Able to communicate in Persian
The ground package of your three and a half week stay in Iran is £700.00 (equivalent to approximately $900 USD), not including the cost of the flight and visa.
However, if you are selected, your ground cost will be sponsored by WF and you will only be required to pay for your flight and visa.
Click here for 2018 mentor Training blogs from past years - other years can be found here.
Click here for Madinah and Bab Course al-Ilm Report 2018
Click here for Terms and Conditions
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions
Click here to Contact Us