10th – 12th March, 2023
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
The WF Islamic Education Department’s Research Section in collaboration with The Africa Federation Tabligh Board (AFTAB), invites proposals for papers and sessions for our international conference: “Intellect and Revelation: Relations and Ijtihadi Implications.” This conference seeks to explore the relationship between human reason and divine revelation in the Imami Shiʿi intellectual tradition and the implications this has for the interpretation of Islamic texts and the practice of Islam in the modern world, with the three central themes of Qurʾan, Hadith, and Intellect.
Papers are invited on topics including but not limited to:
– What are the old and new accepted methods and approaches to interpreting Islamic texts?
– How do accepted methods of Qur’anic tafsir compare to tafsir based on one’s opinion?
– What is the relationship between Qur’anic tafsir and modern-day hermeneutics?
– What is the philosophy behind only using accepted principles of Qur’anic tafsir as opposed to innovation and self-opinions?
– How do opinions based on the contents of religious texts differ from opinions not rooted in the texts?
– How have the Shiʿa historically understood the station of the Imamate?
– What position do narrations hold in modern-day ijtihad?
– What influence do narrations have in shaping Muslim thought?
– How can the validity of narrations be proven through the Qurʾan and reason?
– Which types of narrations do contemporary thinkers reject and why?
– What is the role of the intellect in Islamic Thought?
– To what extent can a mujtahid rely on the intellect?
– How does qiyas (analogy) compare to valid arguments of the intellect (ʿaql)?
– Does the role of the intellect differ when legislating state laws in particular and deducing other Islamic laws in general?
Please submit an abstract of no more than 300-words with a short bio to [email protected]. Finished papers should last no more than 30-minutes (approximately 4,000 words) and should be accompanied by a PowerPoint.
The deadline for submission of abstracts is 25th December 2022.
Draft papers to be submitted by 20th January 2023.
The result of which papers have been accepted will be announced by 25th January 2023.
Islamic Education Department,
The World Federation of KSIMC